Cost Accountant (Food Manufacturing)February 4, 2022 - Permanent
Are you passionate about finance and accounting? Do you have experience working in meat industry? If so this is a ideal opportunity for you! We are currently searching for a Cost Accountant to join our clients` team of professionals.
The Senior Manufacturing Cost Accountant is responsible for assisting the Finance / Accounting department with collecting, updating and analyzing all relevant costing data to create and maintain standard costs for materials and labor, preparing cost of goods sold and production reports, and reconciling raw materials, work in progress and finished goods inventory. Additionally, monitors purchase orders and invoicing to prepare monthly accruals. Assists in cycle counts, production audits and implementing control systems. For all functional activities, works closely with the Production Managers and Production teams. Has a dotted line reporting relationship into the Director, Plant Operations.
- Data Collection: Collects data to update costing of each product; creates costing for new products; compiles documentation on standard costs and actual production costs
- Costing: Develops or enhances costing models for new and existing products, including standards for yield, labor and packaging; provides cost information to support business decisions
- Reporting: Prepares, reviews, analyzes and reconciles daily, weekly and monthly Production reports, including costing, inventory, yields and labor, and distributes to various parties. Ensures actual variance drivers are properly identified and reported
- Inventory Control: Coordinates weekly physical inventory counts and cycle counts on raw materials, finished products and packaging; investigates cycle counting variances and resolves issues; updates standard costs in the bill of materials; reconciles finished goods inventories; Ensures raw material inventory warehouses are up to date and accurately reflect inventory on hand by confirming daily usage and transfers are recorded on a timely basis; Compares stock status report to weekly physical counts and investigates discrepancies
- Analysis: Reviews and approves daily raw material usage and compares to finished goods produced. Investigates yield, labor, packaging, material usage and overhead variances to determine root cause, and recommend potential solutions to mitigate future variances
- KPIs: Formulates and tracks appropriate KPIs
- Process Monitoring: Monitors invoicing of raw materials into production room; monitors purchase orders for packaging and finished goods
- Monthly Accruals: Maintains production accrual list and prepares monthly accruals for packaging costs, labor and material
- Invoicing: Reviews and approves production related invoices for packaging, supplies, labor, etc. Verifies expense coding.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 3 + years of experience in a cost accounting and analysis role in a fast-paced perishable food manufacturing environment, meat industry experience an asset
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability to compile, analyze and interpret data
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and ability to influence change
- Advanced proficiency with standard cost accounting practices and methodologies, and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Highly proficient in Excel (v-lookup, pivot tables), knowledge of ERP systems (MS Dynamics)
- Understanding of manufacturing plant operations process flow
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and take initiative, prioritize effectively and meet goals and deadlines
- Ability to multitask with a sense of urgency and accuracy
- Inspires and motivates teams to work collaboratively to achieve objectives by driving a culture of trust, mutual respect, integrity, and high performance
- Enthusiastic, flexible and consistent with a strong team work attitude
Willing Plus Personnel was established in 1992 to provide temporary and permanent staffing by connecting the right candidate with the right job. We specialize in recruiting for a wide range of industries including clerical, skilled, manufacturing, food production, warehousing, distribution and retail. We believe in building strong relationships between our internal staff, our clients and our field staff.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Willing Plus Personnel do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.